• Sleeping with LEMS

Posted by Ashley on November 30, 2021 at 11:03 am

@lorildunham‘s most recent article “Seeking a Good Night’s Sleep With an Autoimmune Disease,” talks about the ever-present issue of getting enough rest with LEMS.

Luckily for me, I usually have no problem falling asleep. In fact. my fatigue is so severe I very often fall asleep the minute I sit down on the couch, take naps on the weekends, usually sleep in every day I can, and often go to bed during the week around 8, or at the latest 9pm. Of course, I’m up for work everyday at 5:30, but still.

Personally, It seems I’m never well rested, I can’t get enough sleep.

Many of you seem to have the opposite problem, you can’t get to sleep. I know @pricewool and I have had several talks about this.

I do have a strict nightly regimen that I follow which I feel gives me the best chance at getting restful sleep.

I always take melatonin about 30 mins before I go to bed, along with 25mg of CBD. Like Grace (@lorildunham‘s daughter), I also listen to ambient noise or guided meditation as soon as I get in bed.

Do you have a strict routine you follow at night?

Do you feel that LEMS affects your sleeping habits?

If so, how has LEMS changed them?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

price-wooldridge replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • lori-dunham

December 1, 2021 at 8:26 am

Ashley, thanks for sharing your experience and tricks with all the differing sleep problems that come with LEMS. For us, it’s been kind of a trial and error process so I love hearing what helps other people.

• bernie

December 1, 2021 at 3:27 pm

I have trouble getting good sleep, but for a different reason. My dysautonomia affects my bladder control so I am now getting up anywhere between 3-7 times a night to void. The good news is that I am able to return to sleep pretty easily most times. The problem is of course that I do not get any more than a couple of hours at a stretch, ever. Sometimes it is rather less than an hour.  That’s pretty frustrating, let me tell you.

I have an appointment with my urologist next week and he will investigate other potential causes for this.  However I am not optimistic because prior to the onset of my LEMS symptoms I seldom got up more than once or twice a night. At least we can potentially eliminate “normal ” causes of such behavior.  Then I suppose it will be up to my neurologist and I to continue to tailor medical treatments to see if it can be corrected.

I have tried melatonin and it did not seem to change things much. I tried a CBD product and although the calming effect was nice, the THC component felt just like the nerve tingles I get when I run low on my Mestinon/Ruzurgi.  So, not pleasant.

I do run a vaporizer in my room, as well as taking Pilocarpine just before bed in order to combat my dry mouth.  I also wear a head strap meant for CPAP users, to keep me from mouth breathing.

• price-wooldridge

December 1, 2021 at 4:46 pm

@bernie Hopefully, your visit to the urologist will help. I generally get up to pee once or twice in a night, but not every two hours as you report.
      The dry-mouth is so LEMS. I get it sometimes, but not every night. Regarding running a vaporizer all the time, just please watch to keep it sanitized. I’ve run one previously, but not anytime lately. I remember using an ultra-sonic one which deposited a fine layer of white “dust” on surfaces.
      Keep us posted on what you find out!