Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums COVID-19 and LEMS Beginning to unmask

• Beginning to unmask

Posted by Ashley on May 18, 2021 at 11:29 am

Hey everyone!

Last week our governor announced that as of yesterday, our mask mandate has been lifted in Virginia.

Yesterday, I went out to eat and it was the first time in a year and a half that I didn’t have a mask on, I’ve been fully vaccinated since January.

What’s going on where you are? Have you been vaccinated yet? Are you still masking in public if you have been?

What feelings do you have about this?

Ashley replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • joyce-crawford

May 18, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your post. It was good to put a face with your name at our meeting. I’m very glad that you’re better also. I was very concerned about you. I have been fully vaccinated for about 6 weeks now, but still wear a mask inside buildings. The guidelines are very varied here in Tennessee. I am mostly concerned about my grandchildren not being vaccinated yet ( they are 9 & 11), but also the possibility of being infected in spite of my vaccines due to my messed up immune system. I just want to play it as safe as possible until more people have taken the vaccine or had the virus. I’m also somewhat concerned about a new variant being resistant to the vaccines, as viruses are very tricky to predict. Joyce

• Ashley

May 19, 2021 at 7:20 am

Hey @joyce275

Thanks for your concern! I’m doing a lot better, I ended up having a kidney infection but am all healed up now.

I enjoyed seeing your face on the meeting as well! 🙂

I completely agree with you! There is definitely a lot to consider and you bring up a lot of valid points! I think it is pretty likely that they will be releasing a booster to help protect us from the new variants but it is a waiting game for now.

Thanks for offering your thoughts!

• searching4answers

May 21, 2021 at 4:15 pm

There is also more evidence that those of us on immunosuppressants, as little as 5 mg daily, I was on 20 mg, that the efficacy of the Moderna & Pfizer vaccines is reduced ten-fold. I don’t know about the J&J as the studies were only on the other two. Bottom line, I am going about life as if I am not vaccinated. It is easier for me though because I do not have kids or grandchildren or family close by. I am also retired so do not have  to worry about the work place. It will become even more dangerous as people stop washing their hands, surfaces aren’t cleaned as often & people will “fudge” the truth if they were vaccinated or not. Just be aware and do what is right for you to be safe

• Ashley

May 24, 2021 at 11:45 am

Hi @searching4answers

I am very interested in reading this study! Can you provide the link or publication?

We all have to do what’s best for us and I respect your opinions.

Which immunosuppressant is the study referring to? There are quite a few of them out there nowadays.

Personally, I am not on immunosuppressants.

Good hand hygiene is always important and one of the most effective ways to prevent sickness!

• searching4answers

May 24, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Hi Ashley

I think this url will get you there. I have signed up for different scientific publications and sometimes I get links that do not work for those who have not registered. This is a “pre-publication” and is not yet peer-reviewed, but the science is valid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.05.21254656v2.full-text

This link was passed on from a molecular biologist giving a class on COVID for INR.  If anyone is interested, I take on-line seminars on several topics from the Institute For Natural Resources (INR)   https://www.inrseminars.com/

This company gives course that give credit to several medical professions to keep their current licenses up-to-date. I have found there seminars VERY informative and useful, from Meditation to Food as Medicine

• Ashley

May 25, 2021 at 8:00 am

Hey @searching4answers

Thanks for sharing the article with us! It’s very interesting, I did notice that the study involved patients on methotrexate or a tumor necrosis factor medication (Humira, Embrel, Remicade, etc).

Luckily for us, most patients with LEMS are not on these medications, so it wouldn’t be directly related to us. Most of us are on Immunoglobulin which is an immune modulator not a suppressant.

I would be really interested to see a study on patients getting IVIG or subq IG with the vaccination. I feel that we have a higher percentage of immunity with the vaccine when compared to patients on immunosuppressants. Also, I think its likely that our IVIG may contain antibodies to COVID too at this point, since donations for plasma we receive now occurred about 9 months ago.

Thanks for sharing your concerns and thoughts and the useful seminar link! 🙂