• Coping skills for LEMS

Posted by Ashley on November 13, 2020 at 11:07 am

Happy Friday!

Today I want to touch base on coping skills. I think we all could use a couple of tips on coping with our chronic illness (es) and life in general!

Resilience is being able to bounce back after set-backs, and is a really important skill to hone on when you have chronic illness. We all know setbacks are natural, but the important part is how we handle the setback.

“Accepting and even anticipating change makes it easier to adapt and view new challenges with less anxiety,” is something I’ve personally been working on. This article from The Mayo Clinic has been helpful to me as I am experiencing more symptoms related to my multiple autoimmune conditions and awaiting an appointment with John Hopkins Rheumatology.

What are some things you do when you are having trouble coping?

One of my hobbies is home improvement projects and I have been working on a few small projects to keep my mind distracted, and it also helps by offering me an outlet. Music is another one that really helps me feel my emotions and get them out!

Ashley replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • price-wooldridge

November 13, 2020 at 4:42 pm

@ashleygregory757 Love this topic, and I can’t even express how much pressure we’re all under in the pandemic. I hope others link to this article you’re pointing out. My two biggest takeaways: GET CONNECTED and ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING EVERYDAY. We all need someone to help us get through the hard times. And everyday, get something done. It feels so much better when you know you’ve been productive!

• Ashley

November 16, 2020 at 10:54 am

Hey @pricewool

Thanks for responding! I agree with you and for me the pressure surrounding COVID is beginning to intensify again. My state has reinstated protective measures because we are starting to see a new spike in cases.

Yes, everyone needs someone they can count on. I’m glad I can count on you and vice versa! I do love feeling productive and accomplishing something every day, even if its as simple as making my bed.