• Posted by Ashley on September 22, 2020 at 10:10 am

Hey all! Hope you were able to enjoy your weekend!

I’m getting my IVIG this week so I am running a little low, but managing!

Did you know that chronic illness patients are seven times more likely to experience depression when compared to a “healthy” person?

I found a post on Lambert-Eaton News about depression and LEMS and thought it might be useful for some.

I have personally battled with depression for most of the four years that I’ve been diagnosed with LEMS. Some years have been harder than others. The first two years after my diagnosis were the hardest because I had been “healthy” with no symptoms less than a year before. It took me awhile to accept my diagnosis, grieve the person who I used to be, and find my new “normal.”

I’m wondering if many of you have gone through a similar struggle?

Do you still struggle with this?

Many of us also struggle with anxiety, I know I have at times. If this is you, I have some tips that may help you.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

We are in this together!

Ashley replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dawn DeBois

September 22, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Hi @ashleygregory757,

Thank you for your honesty in sharing your personal experience with depression. It’s important to relieve the stigma around it.

I’ve battled depression since my mid 30’s. Raising 3 boys with no family to help and an ex whose mission was to beat me down mentally at every opportunity was very difficult. However, my depression was at it’s worst when I had to stop working and file for disability, even before my LEMS diagnosis. I have had more than my fair share of medical battles my entire life but to lose my professional identify was very difficult to handle. I found a great therapist who I asked to challenge my thought process- not just listen and agree with me- and he has been invaluable.

Writing my blog and then becoming a columnist for Lambert-Eaton News has also been pivotal in giving my life purpose. Even though my post-concussion syndrome has added even more medical issues and complications with some relationships, I can honestly say my depression is not nearly as bad as it was years ago because every day I have a way to make a difference- whether it be by writing my column or moderating these forums. I’ll always be grateful for the opportunities!

• Romy Braunstein

September 22, 2020 at 3:02 pm

The good news is that you got a diagnosis.  Depression is a huge challenge in the rare disease world.  I continue to take the high road, because I have no choice.  I do struggle with my Dermatomyositis symptoms as my skin burns and itches all day and all night.  I do get some symptom relief here and there, but its not a solution.  I was approved for a clinical trial for my DM and I was just told they are not going to get me on the expanded access, due to another trial that was unsuccessful.  I am going to continue to work on getting on the expanded access and not take NO as an answer.

• Ashley

September 23, 2020 at 8:17 am

Hey @romylb

I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope you will be able to find some relief for your DM. I am also one who doesn’t take “no” as an answer when it comes to getting myself what I need. I continue to have an increase in autoimmune related symptoms and am trying to avoid an immunosuppressant (aside from IVIG) for as long as I can.

Yes, I also take the high road and prefer to remain as positive as possible. Some use their chronic illness as a constant excuse to be down, but I do not allow my illness to take control of my life. There is always something to be thankful for and someone worse off!