Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Disability Employment Awareness Month

• Disability Employment Awareness Month

Posted by Ashley on October 6, 2020 at 10:22 am

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month!

So, this month is a tribute to those of us who are disabled and still able to work!

Did you know that only 20% of disabled persons “participate” in the work force?

This year’s theme is Increasing Access and Opportunity!

This month also Celebrates 30 years since the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed and 75 years of National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)!

I really appreciate BioNews because each of their employees are “disabled” with rare diseases and they provide a very supportive environment for us!

I know many of you are unable to work because of LEMS, but how would you feel to be employed by a company that celebrates your disability instead of punishing you for it? Sometimes I have felt that my health can be difficult to deal with, and I’m thankful my other employer has been willing to support me in whatever I need as well.

Here’s a link to a resource list that caters to employees with a disability and includes topics on assistance with recruiting, hiring, training, and retaining employees with disabilities.

You can also check out this link to the Library of Congress about NDEAM for more information and here’s another article on why NDEAM matters!

Ashley replied 3 years, 6 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.