Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Gluten-Free Diet for LEMS, Pt. 2, Doing GF

• Gluten-Free Diet for LEMS, Pt. 2, Doing GF

Posted by Price Wooldridge on February 3, 2022 at 7:00 am

In my previous topic on a Gluten-Free Diet, I talked about how I came to be Gluten-Free. It was all about the internal and external inflammation I was seeing on my skin and my GI doc was seeing on the inside. I’ve been gluten-free for about 7 years.

In the earlier years, it wasn’t nearly as easy as it is today. Food labeling today requires Allergens to be identified at the bottom of the ingredients list. Here’s a great article on ‘Food Allergies’ from the FDA.

In a Gluten-Free or GF diet, I’m always reading the labels for ‘WHEAT’. You would be amazed how many prepared foods have wheat as an ingredient. If it’s got WHEAT listed, you can’t have this food item. I find it often included in canned soups and frozen meals. Wheat flour is often used as a thickener in sauces and soups. Lesson One, read labels.

When you’re shopping begin to learn the good, natural GF choices. An example is Mexican tortillas. Flour tortillas are a NO. Corn tortillas are a YES. Read ingredients. You’ll see. Corn chips and potato chips are a YES. Most trail mixes are NOT. Fruits and vegetables have no wheat, that’s obvious. Bread and pastries are entirely different matter.

Let’s talk bread and pastries, one of my major weaknesses. Sadly, most mainstream bread products have wheat flour and gluten. It’s the same for English muffins, cupcakes, bagels, and all those wonderful delights. But there is Good News on the GF front. Now there are excellent choices for bread and baked goods, specifically GF. Some grocers have special gluten-free areas in the store. Other’s label their GF products on price labels. My big box store has a special frozen section with nothing but GF foods. Learn where the GF items are in your store and shop there. Depending on where you live, there may be a gluten-free specialty bakery near you. Check it out! There is one near me, and they make incredible GF pastries from their own, secret recipes. Yes, it’s as good as anything made by any other specialty baker.

Here is the Big Three to start a GF diet. 1. Read labels. 2. Know what’s naturally GF. 3. Know where to find GF products in your favorite grocery and stores in your area.

If I can go GF, you can go GF. In Part 3 I’ll talk about dining out.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 2 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.