Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Diagnosed: What now? Keeping your identity after a chronic illness diagnosis

• Keeping your identity after a chronic illness diagnosis

Posted by Ashley on September 28, 2021 at 8:00 am

Good morning all!

Our friend @lorildunham‘s most recent article “Cultivating an Identity Beyond Chronic Illness” is one I can definitely relate to. Almost a year before my diagnosis with LEMS, I was living a perfectly “healthy” life, or so I thought. Becoming a person with a chronic illness almost felt like a slap in the face, I never realized how much I took my health for granted until that moment.

I also learned that I took so many other things for granted. That summer I realized that I would no longer be able to sunbathe at the beach all day because heat and the sun flared my LEMS and POTS symptoms to the point of almost passing out.

It was a tough pill to swallow. I had to completely find a new “identity” and re-work what my life would be like. It took me longer than I’d like to admit to adjust to this.

Did you go through something similar when you were diagnosed with LEMS?

Did you feel like LEMS stole your identity?

What are some tips you would share with newly diagnosed LEMS patients about how to keep/cultivate a new identity involving chronic illness.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Ashley replied 2 years, 6 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.