Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Autoimmune LEMS Nope, LEMS Treatments Haven’t Hit the Wall

• Nope, LEMS Treatments Haven’t Hit the Wall

Posted by Price Wooldridge on October 26, 2020 at 7:00 am

Pretty much every day I end up reading about or talking about our suite of treatments most of us LEMS patients use to mitigate the problems. It’s the usual suspects, immunoglobulin, amifampridine (Ruzurgi, Firdapse), pyridostigmine (Mestinon), and maybe an immunosuppressant or anti inflammatory. But, in my reading, it doesn’t appear we’ve hit the brick wall on treatments. There is research going on. And research leads to new ways of looking at and approaching a problem. This is code speak for new treatments. In a June article I read $1.95 million dollars has been provided for the investigation of the underlying causes of autoimmune diseases like LEMS. And recently the National Health Foundation has granted $750,000 to fund improved computer modeling of the neuromuscular junction (NMJ) where nerve cells and muscle cells communicate. All of this can lead to new and better treatments for LEMS. So “stuff” is going on, and that makes me hopeful. I hope this news brightens your day! Does this make you more hopeful?

Price Wooldridge replied 3 years, 6 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.