Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums COVID-19 and LEMS Scientists are finding that COVID survivors are now having autonomic issues and POTS.

• Scientists are finding that COVID survivors are now having autonomic issues and POTS.

Posted by Ashley on September 12, 2020 at 7:14 am

Hey all!

I’ve been reading a lot of articles lately that are finding many COVID-19 survivors are showing signs of dysautonomia and POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). Some have even been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis.

I know most LEMS patients have been diagnosed with some type of autonomic involvement, usually POTS.

The research is no surprise to me because I became sick after having pneumonia in 2015 and was diagnosed with LEMS and dysautonomia a year later as many of you know. I was told that it was likely that the virus (pneumonia) “flicked a switch” and caused my immune system to overreact.

POTS and dysautonomia are getting to be a “hot topic” right now, and I even heard that they discussed it on Wednesday night on CNN. I think its unfortunate that so many are now being diagnosed with POTS, but it is cool to hear about it on the news and to bring more awareness to the general public.

Here are a few articles recently posted about POTS and Covid:

What do you guys think about this? Are you surprised?

Ashley replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • price-wooldridge

September 13, 2020 at 12:37 pm

I think I was told POTS is more prevalent in a certain part of the population, age? gender? I’m reading about post Covid disorders too. This severe viral attack must be very profound. And not good that it seems to have lasting effects.

• price-wooldridge

September 13, 2020 at 12:37 pm

I think I was told POTS is more prevalent in a certain part of the population, age? gender? I’m reading about post Covid disorders too. This severe viral attack must be very profound. And not good that it seems to have lasting effects.

• Ashley

September 14, 2020 at 7:21 am

@pricewool

I agree! I have been reading more and more about it. It’s pretty scary stuff. No one seems to be worried about the after effects of COVID.

• Ashley

September 14, 2020 at 11:24 am

If anyone is more interested in this topic, Dysautonomia International just posted a webinar on their page regarding this. You can view it here.