• Smart Watches and LEMS

Posted by Price Wooldridge on December 30, 2021 at 1:00 pm

[caption id="attachment_19077" align="alignnone" width="2560"] Apple Watch Series 4[/caption]

Smart watches have become a wonderful thing. Some people who love and enjoy old style mechanical watches, sneer at smart watches. They say, “Smart watches aren’t “real” watches at all!” Well, of course they are because, at their most basic level, they tell you the time. But today’s smart watch is in fact a technological wonder, loaded with health and fitness sensors, apps and data to help us track how we’re doing, physically and mentally.

My current smart watch (Apple Watch, Series 7) keeps track of my sleeping time and quality. It keeps track of my heart rate 24/7. When I exercise, it keeps track of my distance and intensity. It can tell me my oxygen saturation at any time and keeps track of it 24/7, like my heart rate. It can do a meaningful ECG to look at basic heart rhythm. I’ve actually shown clinicians these ECG strips, which has proven extremely invaluable. This is incredible information we can now wear on our wrists!

Is a smart watch helpful with LEMS? I certainly think it is. It can’t measure muscle weakness or fatigue directly, but many of the physical symptoms I feel are reflected in data coming off the watch. This would include heart rate data which I track with an app. It also includes walking pace times, which I feel, directly correlate to my hip weakness, a direct connection with my LEMS! Sleep data can also reflect fatigue and recovery I think. In short, I believe a smart watch with good health sensors, apps, and data can be a great addition for any LEMS patient. The one caveat is you must actually go and look at what you’re getting. Take the time to view the graphs, read the data, think and adjust as you can to what all this is telling you.

If you’ve read this far congratulations! I’ve recently had the good fortune to upgrade to the latest Apple Watch Series 7, as a gift. In return, I need to move my perfectly good, Apple Watch Series 4, on to another user. I’ve taken the time to reset it back to factory defaults, cleaned it up nicely, and returned it to it’s original packaging. It’s got plenty of life still ahead I think. If you’d like me to send you this used, Apple Watch Series 4, 44MM size (larger), I’d be happy to pass it on to you free. How many things in this world are free?
    Just be the first person to comment on this topic, and request the Watch. You MUST have an iPhone to pair it with. Also, I will send it without a band, so you’ll need to purchase a new band from Apple or another supplier for the 44 MM size Apple Watch. If you’re the first, I’ll be in touch. If no one responds by January 10, 2022, I’ll offer it elsewhere.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DHM

December 31, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I’d love to try the watch.

• Price Wooldridge

December 31, 2021 at 3:27 pm

@dhmc great. Do you have an IPhone to pair it with?

• Price Wooldridge

January 1, 2022 at 11:09 am

The Apple Watch Series 4 is spoken for. Thanks for reading!

• Price Wooldridge

January 1, 2022 at 11:09 am

The Apple Watch Series 4 is spoken for. Thanks for reading!