Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums COVID-19 and LEMS To Mask or Not to Mask

• To Mask or Not to Mask

Posted by dawn-debois on May 29, 2020 at 7:20 am

The CDC recommendation includes wearing a face mask to protect others from the possibility of contracting COVID-19 from you. My thought is this only works if everyone wears a mask because not everyone shows symptoms and can transmit the virus long before becoming aware they have it, if they become aware at all.

However, for some with breathing problems, it is not recommended as it IS tougher to breath and to talk with one on. It’s also not recommended for children under 2. Unfortunately, in the US, wearing a mask has some people claiming it violates their freedom to choose whether to wear one or not.

Are you wearing a mask when in public spaces that staying 6 feet apart isn’t possible?

dawn-debois replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • rdt

May 30, 2020 at 5:31 am

Since I’m currently undergoing chemotherapy and have several autoimmune diseases, I definitely mask & glove up every time I leave my home.

I completely understand those that don’t want to mask up, however we still need to follow a businesses policies. It used to be, “No Shirt,No Shoes, No Service”. Nowadays that now includes masks.

For me personally it wouldn’t be worth it to fight with a store worker about hipaa/ada rights to someone probably making minimum wage and struggling to keep their jobs.

It would be a different story if a person had NO access to obtain these store items and unable to get them without wearing a mask.

However, that’s not circumstances we are in right now. We have options to perform online shopping even for groceries. There’s also online ordering & curbside car pickup with no mask required. If a store you want to purchase from doesn’t have these options, there’s always instacart and services that will have people go out and personally shop for you whatever you may need. If all else fails hopefully a person has family, friends, acquaintances, neighbors and even Good Samaritans that are offering their shopping services even for free to pickup your items for you that ARE willing to mask up.

So people who don’t want to wear masks have other options in my humble opinion.

I think the real issue will not be about their rights to not wear masks but the possibility of forced mass covid-19 vaccination if and when it comes out. That I have a real issue with and I think that might what we may have to face in the future. I’d rather invest my efforts in fighting that then fighting a poor worker that’s just trying to follow their store policy. Just my 2¢….

• romy-braunstein

June 1, 2020 at 8:16 pm

I wear a mask inside anywhere, that is not my house. It is so hard to breath and it is very uncomfortable. So with that being said….I don’t go out much!

• romy-braunstein

June 1, 2020 at 8:18 pm

You are rocking the mask, I must say! I need a bandana.

• dawn-debois

June 4, 2020 at 4:18 am

Rebecca, I completely get your concerns. I feel horrible for all of the minimum wage workers in stores dealing with people refusing to wear masks. I have anxiety just seeing them when I HAVE to shop- I can’t imagine needing to work for 8 hours with them day in and day out. As for mass vaccinations- my body doesn’t respond well to vaccinations so I’m hoping my doctors will not push it on me. They know how sick I can get. On another note, I hope your chemo is going as well as it can.

Romy! I’ve seen your great mask pics. You are surrounded by not only huge numbers of COVID but now the protests and riots. It’s even more important than ever to be safe in all that you do. I most certainly didn’t envision what was to come when you gave me the fantastic tour of Philadelphia only a few short months ago.  I’m so incredibly grateful for the memories!!