Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS Immunosuppression “Weighing the Pros and Cons of Taking Another Immunosuppressant”

• “Weighing the Pros and Cons of Taking Another Immunosuppressant”

Posted by Ashley on November 10, 2021 at 7:23 am

Good morning all!

@lorildunham‘s most recent article “Weighing the Pros and Cons of Taking Another Immunosuppressant” brings up an important point for those of us with LEMs.

Many of us are on some type of immunosuppressant, including Rituxan infusions, prednisone, azathioprine, cellcept, as well as others.

Due to having Lupus (and maybe LEMS as well), my blood counts are very low, especially my white blood cell count, but my rheumatologist wanted to start me on Hydroxychloroquine about nine months ago now. It was a tough choice to weigh the pros and cons before deciding to start it. Although, hydroxycloroquine has “minimal” side effects compared with the other immunosuppressants, it was still a tough choice to make. I ended up deciding to take it, which has been a blessing. I used to get sores on my nose, mouth, gums and hands but those have since mostly gone away since starting hydroxychloroquine, so I made the best choice for me.

Sometimes life with LEMS feels more like a game of Yahtzee. Sometimes we don’t have another choice but to try a different treatment option in hopes it will help us.

Do many of you feel this way too?

@lorildunham talks about the possibility of adding azathioprine to her daughter, Grace’s LEMs treatment plan.

Have you used azathioprine? What has your experience been? 

Ashley replied 2 years, 5 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.