Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums COVID-19 and LEMS Challenges during the pandemic for chronic illness patients

• Challenges during the pandemic for chronic illness patients

Posted by Ashley on August 5, 2020 at 10:06 am

An article called ” 10 Challenges Faced by those with Chronic Pain and Illness”was published in Psychology Today and I found it interesting and informative! The writer, Toni Bernhard, is just released a book titled “How to be sick: your Pocket Companion” which talks about the challenges in general for chronic illness patients. She says that a lot of these challenges are magnified by the pandemic.

To sum it up, The challenges she talks about are:

“1- Not engaging in self blame

2- Making peace with your inability to know what the future holds for you

3- Responding to the relentlessness of symptoms

4- Handling emotional pain of receiving cursory or dismissive medical care

5- Coping with disappointment and sadness when a new treatment doesn’t help

6- Responding with patience and courage to the appearance of a new medical problem

7- Accepting (without bitterness) how limited your life has become (Socially and otherwise)

8- Easing the heartache of feeling disregarded or not believed by family and friends

9- Alleviating the pain of loneliness

10- Managing caregiver burnout wisely”

I think the article brings up some really relevant points for us. All 10 of these points apply to me when thinking about the feelings I’ve faced since having my LEMS diagnosis. Some of them are points I still struggle with. After reading the article, I’m interested in reading her book.

Which one of these challenges is the hardest for you?

Click here to see the actual article. 

Ashley replied 3 years, 8 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.