Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Chronic illness and discrimination

• Chronic illness and discrimination

Posted by Ashley on February 10, 2021 at 7:41 am

Good morning all!

Happy hump day! 

Tomorrow is my infusion day and I am looking forward to the couple day break from work and refueling.

Today I want to talk about discrimination and chronic illness.

As most of you know, I work in the healthcare field as a nurse. You would be surprised how even healthcare workers aren’t understanding or sympathetic to chronic illness, and in fact can be downright cold.

This morning, there was a patient who is COVID positive scheduled for surgery in the OR that I was assigned to, I spoke to my charge nurse in private because I have notes from my Rheumatologist and PCP requesting that I do not care for COVID positive/confirmed patients because I am at a high risk for complications. Another nurse came in my room and angrily asked me “How do you still have a job here?” “Why do you work in healthcare?” Sadly, this wasn’t the first time I’ve had discriminatory statements said to me (at work or elsewhere) due to my chronic illness.

I know some of you still work, while others here are unable to.

Have you been discriminated against before? If so, how do you handle it? 

I told the other nurse that she was making discriminatory comments and informed my managers of the situation. I try not to take it personal, but it still stings the same, especially when you are doing all you can to help.

Ashley replied 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Price Wooldridge

February 11, 2021 at 8:34 am

I find the behavior you describe as shocking, inappropriate, and harmful. I’m glad you reported this person. Needless to say, I’ve had plenty of contact with nurses in a hospital setting, and I’m always amazed at the caring and thoughtfulness almost all of them have. I guess there are exceptions. You nurses rank very high on my list of great people.

• Ashley

February 15, 2021 at 7:22 am

@pricewool

Yes, thanks for your kind words! I hope I’m one of the few who has personally experienced this.