Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Dealing with the Heat and LEMS, My Strategies

• Dealing with the Heat and LEMS, My Strategies

Posted by Price Wooldridge on June 21, 2021 at 7:00 am

Here in Texas we went from the 70s to the 90s virtually overnight. That’s the way it is here. We had MAYBE a couple of Spring weeks in the 80s, but that was it. This past week we’ve been in the upper 90s, often with high humidity.
    My LEMS does terrible in the heat and humidity. This year it has reacted the worst ever. Maybe I need a cooler climate! Until then, I do have a several strategies in place I try to follow.
    The first strategy is stay out of the high heat in the shank of the day. Yesterday I took my car to the wash at 8:30 in the morning. The car wash was busy. Doing my daily walk also is now done first thing after morning coffee and Firdapse. So that’s it, plan your activities when the day is as cool as it can be.
    My second strategy is understanding when my core temperature is getting overheated. That’s an invitation to bad things with LEMS. In the summer heat, I’m coming in hot and sweaty from my walks. I do one of three things now. With the hot weather our pool is now open. Returning from my walk, I slip into my swim trunks and get some cool, refreshing pool time.
    Today I had a grocery run and couldn’t do the pool so I went directly to the shower. I start it slightly warm, quickly cool it to a comfortable temperature, and wash. Then I gradually turn it as cold as I can stand and end with a refreshing, cold rinse. It works!
    My final strategy is a cooling vest. My neurology NP ordered one for me last year, but it was too late to use it. This year I’ve used it. It has a couple of flexible freezer packs that fit in a vest. I just prep it before I need it, then slip it on when I come back. It feels wonderful.
    So, do you have any heat beating strategies I haven’t mentioned? What is your experience?

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.