Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Does your LEMS diagnosis hold you back or keep you moving?

• Does your LEMS diagnosis hold you back or keep you moving?

Posted by Ashley on June 18, 2021 at 12:21 pm

I recently read an article on The Mighty written by a patient with another rare disease, Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).  SMA is a disease I learned about in the last couple of years because our forums director, Kevin Schaefer has it. Working for BioNews has given me a lot of knowledge, not just about LEMS, but about other rare diseases too. Personally, I think we zebras ought to stick together!

Anyway, the article is titled “SMA Doesn’t Hold Me Back – It Propels Me Forward” By Juan Morales. In the article, Juan talks about the many challenges associated with having a rare disease and specific challenges associated with SMA.

Like Juan, I try to share the outlook that my LEMS propels me forward, instead of keeping me from accomplishing everything from daily tasks to dreams.

Juan attributes this to the fact that his parents always raised him to believe he “could do anything he put his mind to without limitations.” I was diagnosed with LEMS at 26, and most of us are diagnosed later in life, but I think this is a good perspective to have even as adults or caretakers.  I make accommodations in my life with LEMS, but I don’t let it keep me from accomplishing what I want. Sometimes, it takes me a little longer to get there but I always hold faith that I’ll get there.

Do you feel like your LEMS diagnosis holds you back?

Has your LEMS diagnosis changed your perspective on life?

I know it has for me. I cherish the days when I feel almost “healthy” and the moments when I can forget I have LEMS, even if it’s just for a split second. Before my LEMS diagnosis, I definitely took my health for granted and it never crossed my mind that I would end up with multiple chronic conditions. Now, I appreciate life, friends and family so much more!

I hope you guys do too! 🙂

Ashley replied 2 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.