Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics If you had a good physical therapist, raise your hand!

• If you had a good physical therapist, raise your hand!

Posted by Price Wooldridge on March 10, 2021 at 1:00 pm

If you’ve had physical therapy prior to, or after your LEMS diagnosis, I’d like to know your experience! Did you get a good physical therapist?
    At LEMS diagnosis for me, I had an injured left hip, caused by the muscle weakness and imbalance created when everything “muscle wise” doesn’t work in concert.
    My left hip was weaker than my right, and I was walking distances just about every day on the “use it or lose it” principal. Because of the extra weakness on my left side I had difficulty raising my left leg up over curbs and my gate was significantly altered. This bad muscle imbalance was causing strain and injury. My Primary physician is a good one, and got me a referral for PT, this time at a very convenient community PT clinic near me.
    At this clinic I had three different therapists for different sessions. I carefully explained LEMS to them all and it’s limitations. One of the three seemed to really “get it”. I sensed the others maybe not so much.
    In a first session I was given an exercise which uses an elastic tension band with side steps left and right, to work the outside hip muscles. If you read my previous PT post, my hips don’t like or respond well to this type exercise. This is an example of a PT who perhaps doesn’t understand LEMS, but only training muscle groups. I told the therapist I was happy to do the side step hip extensions, but not with a tension band. She allowed me to do it this way, and everyone was happy. Whew. My hips do get angry with too much work.
    Let me know if you’ve had a good physical therapist! Or maybe one, not so good.

Price Wooldridge replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kevin Deihl

March 14, 2021 at 10:31 pm

I loved my physical therapists that I had prior to COVID-19 numbers going crazy in AZ. I have not been back since Nov. 2020 but am getting close to returning. With LEMS and 2 torn rotator cuffs, there was always something to work on with me!

• Price Wooldridge

March 15, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Don’t we all enjoy what physical therapists can do for us! Take it easy on those rotator cuffs! I’ve had low back injury and problems for decades. They can work miracles!

• Ashley

March 15, 2021 at 7:24 am

Hey @specialk70

Thanks for sharing with us! I’m sorry you haven’t been able to go to PT. I know how helpful PT was to me as well when I was recovering from my shoulder injury. I hope you’ll be able to go back soon!