Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS LEMS and Living with Heat

• LEMS and Living with Heat

Posted by Price Wooldridge on March 21, 2022 at 7:00 am

We’ve posted a number of topics in the past on how heat can be a problem with LEMS. Here in Texas where I live, spring can get pretty warm and, around May, get rapidly into the 90s and above. This is just your early reminder to be aware of the coming warmer temperatures just around the bend and consider how you can adjust appropriately to minimize the problems.

Last summer was pretty rough for me. I really noticed the effects of heat on my Lambert-Eaton. A few times I suffered excessive core temperatures while outside on a walk or doing outside activities. A quick fix to bring down my core temperature was a cold shower immediately upon getting home. I’d jump in the shower, water running warm, and then turn the water temperature down to as cool/cold as I could stand. It’s hard to describe how wonderful this feels! After a good soaking in the cold shower water, I was able to resume my daily activities and avoid a LEMS flare.

My other main strategy in the heat of the day is, don’t get out in the heat of the day. This strategy sounds easy, and it is. It’s a no-brainer. I move my morning walks to the earliest part of the day. I try and walk a path that has more trees overhanging so I’m in the shade more. I schedule my errands early, so I’m back home in the air conditioning most afternoons.

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for pool season. A refreshing dip after a walk in the heat feels fantastic. I hope you will be mindful of the heat as it comes on in the weeks ahead.

Do you have any tips for managing warm weather with LEMS?

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 1 month ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.