Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics My shoulder weakness IS LEMS

• My shoulder weakness IS LEMS

Posted by Price Wooldridge on February 8, 2021 at 7:00 am

The one downside to telehealth visits is you can’t have your neurologist do a physical exam. For at least the last year my neuro is interpreting my transient left shoulder weakness as a rotator cuff injury, and not LEMS. Of course I’m the one who actually has LEMS and know it is. I just can’t convince her. And not being in her office, I can’t point out the weak muscles or show her what movements reveal the weakness. And it’s transient, coming and going for over a year. It’s the LEMS. I think I goofed up by mentioning the word “pain”, a well known feature of a rotator cuff injury. Even mentioning that proximal shoulder weakness is a well known feature of LEMS, didn’t change her assessment. Oh well, out of it I was at least able to get 180 MG Mestinon time release for overnight, when the weakness issues first appeared. That has helped quite a lot. But, as with all things LEMS, my shoulder weakness comes and goes with a mind of its own, and LEMS is a progressive disorder. If you’ve experienced unusual weakness that comes and goes, I’d like to know your experience.

Price Wooldridge replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dorothy Dempsey

February 11, 2021 at 11:27 am

Good morning Price, just want to reply to your post re shoulder weakness and pain. I hadn’t given any thought to it being related to the LEMS but for a few months now I have had the same thing going on in especially my left shoulder thinking it was a rotator cuff injury but couldn’t think how that could have happened.  Excrutiating pain at times especially if reaching back.  Then my right shoulder started acting up but not as bad.  Interesting to find out it could be the LEMS. So what comes next? Yesterday I had my first shot of  Moderna , am experiencing chills and headache but not serious and the sore, painful arm.  Just wanted to share my experience with the shoulder thing!!

• Price Wooldridge

February 12, 2021 at 4:49 pm

I did some research on rotator cuff injury and came to the same conclusion, @dordem. I don’t know how I could have done that. The other point, it comes and goes and varies in weakness. And it’s been going on a long, long time. I’ve no clue how to convince my neurologist she’s wrong. And as mentioned, I did get overnight time-release Mestinon, because it was appearing overnight and waking me up. That helped. Thanks for sharing. I’d just had a pacemaker placed left, also my weak shoulder problem area, so got my Moderna shot right shoulder.

• Joanne Evans

February 12, 2021 at 9:55 pm

Hello from Joanne in Canada

I had a left shoulder injury a few years ago and put it down to yoga. My physio said it was a rotary cuff injury. It did get better and now I am experiencing pain in my right shoulder. Going to physio again and they say it a rotary cuff injury. I haven’t been doing anything lately to cause that.  Hmmm sounds like LEMS?

• Price Wooldridge

February 13, 2021 at 3:48 pm

I can understand the injury from yoga, but if that’s not the cause then I would think perhaps some diagnostic imaging might be in order. For me it’s been those deltoid muscles on the outer crown of my shoulder.