• Our Story

Posted by patrick tribbey on May 8, 2021 at 11:04 am

My wife was a very happy 74 year old in December. She had a few issues with falling, and I got her a walker for her to use when she needed it. In February she go much worse, she needed the walker all the time. I took her to one of our hospitals here in Sioux Falls, SD and the ran CT, and MRI tests but everything had negative results. The doctors discharged her saying they couldn’t find a cause. I took her home and her condition became worse, and she couldn’t use a walker, and I had to wash, and dress her. She continued to worsen so I took to our other hospital here in Sioux Falls which is Avera. They ran CT, MRI, Spinal tap, and a lot of blood work. In the end they said they were uncertain her cause but her worsening condition prompted the to treat her for what they suspected, MG. My wife was bed ridden and lost her voice and was unable to swallow. Then she was unable to breath an during a code blue incident she was placed on a ventilator. Doctors stated the MG may be incorrect but started her on Prednisone at 60 mg and thank God she improved enough to come off the ventilator. The spinal tap results came in and LEMS was confirmed. They then suspected cancer even though she has a history of autoimmune in the last 15 years. They did a PET scan of her whole body to confirm she has no cancer in her body. So now we have entered treatment with Firdapse but continuing Mestinon, and Prednisone too. She is beginning to see some improvement and increase our hopes for a recovery. Thanks for this web site  so we don’t feel so alone.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Price Wooldridge

May 9, 2021 at 4:20 pm

@ptribbey It sounds like they did a good job with such a quick crisis. I’m glad they got you to a quick diagnosis, something they failed to do with me. My fellow moderator, Ashley and I are happy you’ve found the forums.
    Lamberteatonnews.com has a wealth of information and is constantly adding more.