Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Physical Therapy and LEMS, Getting Evaluated Pt. 2 and the Plan

• Physical Therapy and LEMS, Getting Evaluated Pt. 2 and the Plan

Posted by Price Wooldridge on August 4, 2021 at 1:00 pm

In my last post, I discussed meeting my new physical therapist, Wendy. I educated her about LEMS and LEMS weakness, and we discussed goals for treating my weak left shoulder.

As I mentioned last time, I reported this to my neuromuscular neurologist over a year ago. I mentioned the word “pain” which led her to believe I might have a rotator cuff injury. The only evaluation I got in this clinic visit was the “chicken wings” push down. I can’t think of a less scientific, subjective evaluation.

This time I got an actual evaluation. First, I was placed flat on an exam table. She then evaluated my left arm and shoulder muscles, using a padded pressure gauge she could apply to a part of my left arm. I was instructed to push pressure against the pad, as hard as I could, as she resisted. She got pressure numbers from each evaluation. I like that. Here we were, about to get actual data! With my left arm, we measured my ability to press in both adduction and abduction directions. We measured bicep pull strength and tricep extension strength. With left arm folded, we measured elbow to body adduction and abduction as well. All measurements were repeated on the right. The differences were striking. It surprised her, and me too. The left bicep curl score was 11. The right bicep curl score was 21. All measurements gave similar differences. Now we had real data, documenting my left shoulder LEMS weakness. Now we have hard data for my neuromuscular neurologist to see.

Needless, to say I was very excited to have honest, quantifiable data to document my left shoulder weakness that has been plaguing me badly, especially over the last few months.
    My last topic this week will detail the treatment plan.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.