Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Physical Therapy and LEMS, The Treatment Plan

• Physical Therapy and LEMS, The Treatment Plan

Posted by Price Wooldridge on August 5, 2021 at 7:00 am

My last two posts have talked about getting my left shoulder, LEMS associated shoulder weakness evaluated. My therapist, Wendy, and I spent about an hour getting to the plan I have taken home with me.
    I educated her about the physiology of LEMS and what I felt we could realistically hope to accomplish. We discussed that an overtrained, LEMS weakened muscle could fatigue badly and not recover as a normal muscle would. With that in mind, she sent me home with a program of 9 isometric exercises. All of them apply pressure from my arm or shoulder to a static piece providing resistance. In most cases, it is a wall, but also one arm resisting against the other. The exercises are: Shoulder flexion, Shoulder extension, Shoulder abduction, Shoulder adduction, Shoulder external rotation, Shoulder internal rotation, Biceps resistance, Triceps resistance, and Scapular retractions. I won’t bother to offer graphics, because this treatment plan is tailored specifically to my particular problem. More important, we discussed effort with each exercise. She told me, with as little as 25% effort, the training response we are after will happen. That’s very important to avoid over fatiguing the muscle.

So that’s it. Regardless of the cause, I need tone and strength back in that shoulder. I don’t expect miracles, but I hope to dig myself out of the extreme weakness of the past few months. To be continued.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.