Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Preparing to Travel with LEMS

• Preparing to Travel with LEMS

Posted by Price Wooldridge on June 7, 2021 at 7:00 am

The day this posts will be Monday. Tomorrow I head to DFW International Airport to jet away on vacation! Whoop! Travel time! Easy, right? It is for “normal” people, but not so much for LEMS patients like me.
    I’m spending the week in advance, making sure I’m actually ready to board that plane and be away from home for days.
    The first, obvious item on the checklist, meds. We’ve got to take our meds! I keep most of my daily meds in a 7 Day pill caddy. That will be checked and full when I pack Monday evening. But there are other meds that don’t go in my 7 Day, and I need to make sure those go too. These include my inhalers and insulin for other issues. It’s getting complicated! That’s why I’ve pre-written a checklist, so I don’t forget something important. I’ll check it off as items are packed. And you did notice I said a “full” 7 Day caddy? My days away should actually only be 4, but I make sure to carry an extra few days supply, in case of an emergency or delay that might keep me away from home longer than planned.
    Finally, I’d like to mention the stress of travel on LEMS. Travel is exciting, fun, and also…stressful. That can exacerbate LEMS. I’ve learned my lesson. In 2018, flying to Florida, my LEMS flared some, just from the stress of travel. Now I’m prepared for it, and I watch for it. I’m ready to adjust my meds and my activities as needed.
    So there you have it. And we haven’t even talked about clothes, the camera, shoes, sunglasses, lotion,…Ha!

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 10 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.