Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Shoulder Weakness and LEMS, my problem.

• Shoulder Weakness and LEMS, my problem.

Posted by Price Wooldridge on June 17, 2021 at 10:16 am

For well over a year now, I’ve been experiencing shoulder weakness. Primarily I’ve had some profound muscle weakness in my left shoulder. I started noticing it overnight when I was awakened with some pain and weakness there, and when waking up, had difficulty raising that arm to turn off my CPAP. The weakness would usually subside within 10 to 15 minutes of activity. In response to this we added a 180 MG time-release Mestinon for my overnight. It seemed to help.
    When I told my neurologist about this and used the descriptor “pain”, she dismissed my LEMS theory and suggested I might have a rotator cuff injury. Neurologists, even my diagnosing one, don’t always seem to understand LEMS.
    Now I’m starting to have more profound weakness more often. It literally feels like my shoulder is collapsing from the weight and there is pain. A friend has noticed what she thinks is muscle wasting in that shoulder. I think I feel it too! So off to my Primary today for an in-clinic visit and evaluation. Stay tuned!

Mark J Cafiso replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Mark J Cafiso

June 22, 2021 at 3:00 pm

Hi Price, my shoulder weakness is exactly the same and my diagnosing neurologist’s response was the same.  Sorry you’re having it ongoing. Mine is sporadic, but when I do have it, its severe pain just trying to raise my arm from the shoulder.

• Price Wooldridge

June 22, 2021 at 6:48 pm

@mcafiso Thanks for your feedback! It’s good to know I’m not alone, though I’d never wish this weakness on anyone.
    My Primary felt I definitely have an issue and I’m awaiting diagnostic imaging. I’ve requested an in-clinic evaluation by my neurologist next month.

• Mark J Cafiso

June 23, 2021 at 8:25 am

Good luck! Take care!