Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Swallowing Difficulties and LEMS

• Swallowing Difficulties and LEMS

Posted by Price Wooldridge on May 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Do you have swallowing difficulties with LEMS? I do, sometimes.
    I was just reading an article on swallowing difficulties on the Myasthenia Gravis news page, and, as our sister disorder, it rang true for me too.
    Most of the time my food goes down fine, but pills are another matter. I take Colestipol for my lipid profile. I know, statin drugs are the gold standard for this, but they’ve exacerbated my muscle weakness, and are on my banned list. Colestipol pills are Big. They’re the largest pills I take, and I take 8 of them a day. It’s starting to be a problem. Twice in the past couple of weeks I’ve had one of these just about lodge themselves in my throat and not go down. Fortunately, I’ve had water on hand and got them moving on to my stomach. But I’ve had a scare.
    Today I’m messaging my diabetes manager to see what we can do about this. I’ve got a pill splitter and tried to cut one down, but they’re hard as a rock. For now, I’m being extremely careful when taking this med.
    If you’ve had swallowing issues associated with LEMS, this is a cautionary tale for what could happen, so be careful.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 11 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.