Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Swallowing Problems with LEMS and MG

• Dawn DeBois

September 23, 2021 at 10:20 am

Yes, my swallowing problems became scary and even my voice was changing from the weakness in my throat that I finally relented and started IVIG. Prior to IVIG, I often would have food get stuck just after I swallowed it and it would  very slowly then painfully move down my esophagus. When I started having a hard time swallowing water and my small  DAP pills, it got scary. I’d have to concentrate hard to try to swallow water. It was crazy how my brain knew what I wanted to do but my swallowing reflex just wouldn’t happen.  My neurologist sent me to a speech pathologist for the diagnosis of dysphagia and the speech pathologist noted that eating or drinking anything, my throat was doing a “double swallow” trying to get things to move. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. It was this last symptom that brought about my relenting and starting IVIG- I had held my doctor off for over a year due to my fear of side effects. Thankfully, since starting Ig, swallowing has been much better and my voice sounds like myself again, unless I’m tired. I do find my large Fish Oil supplements challenging but they at least don’t stop moving the way I experienced with food.

• Price Wooldridge

September 23, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Glad you brought up the vocal cords being affected as well. Anecdotally, it seems dysphagia and “the LEMS voice” often go hand in hand. I also experienced voice problems, sounding weak and reedy, especially early on, before fully on my treatment plan.
      If other’s have experienced both dysphagia and “the LEMS voice”, please let us know. How common is it?

• RDT

September 26, 2021 at 10:27 am

I too have dysphagia and atrophied vocal cords from LEMS. 😿

• Price Wooldridge

September 26, 2021 at 10:32 am

It seems to be relatively common amongst LEMS patients.

• Mary

September 29, 2021 at 10:07 am

I walked down the same road. I lost alot of weight not wanting to risk blockage. It got out of control. I ended up with a feeding tube. Im able to swallow better now with treatment. Jumping on this issue right away is really smart.

• Price Wooldridge

September 29, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Yes! I’m so glad you were proactive. It’s so important to stay on top of symptoms and react accordingly. Glad you’ve seen improvements!