Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Travel Trouble Again. How About You?

• Travel Trouble Again. How About You?

Posted by Price Wooldridge on November 10, 2022 at 7:07 am

For the second time this year, I jetted out of DFW Airport for Washington, DC, to represent the nonprofit, The Lambert-Eaton LEMS Family Association, at the NORD Summit. This was a big event and there were many important introductions and connections to be made.

The departure and arrival at Dulles International Airport in Virginia went uneventful. This time I took my LEMS meds on time during the flight (a failure last time). The 35-minute drive into downtown Washington was relaxing, visiting with the Uber driver, and gazing at all the fall colors of the trees along the route. All good so far.

The beautiful drive into DC was the last time I felt really good as my trip unfolded. After arriving at my hotel, the first order of business was getting distilled water for my CPAP machine. Usually, there’s a nearby store to do this quickly. In Boston recently, I only had to walk a block! Not so this time.

I walked 3 blocks to the local CVS and there was no distilled water. I walked another 4 blocks to a grocery store and bought some. Then it was a 6 block trek back to the hotel. Fatigue was setting in. My hips were beginning to weaken from the LEMS.

With my hotel room squared away, it was down to registration for the SUMMIT, a visit to the poster and networking room, then a welcome buffet and meeting people. My hips and fatigue were starting to become very noticeable. I was having trouble walking. I hadn’t really had anything to eat beyond a snack of fig newtons while on my flight. I met a fellow LEMS patient in the hotel and we grabbed a quick dinner at the hotel eatery. Finally, some food, conversation, and an ending to this day.

I had been told by a friend to not overdo it. Did I follow that advice? I tried. I failed. Circumstances of traveling with LEMS, meeting the obligations of the day, and an unexpectedly long walk foiled my plan.

Does travel trouble exacerbate your LEMS problems?

Kevin Deihl replied 1 year, 5 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kevin Deihl

November 14, 2022 at 10:30 am

Hi Price! I have travelled frequently with my B-PAP machine. If there is distilled readily available, I’ll use it. If not, I use tap water during  the trip, and then clean my machine with vinegar when home. It would be great if you could buy distilled water at the airport, huh? I hope this is helpful. Kevin