• Sleeping with LEMS

Posted by Ashley on November 30, 2021 at 11:03 am

@lorildunham‘s most recent article “Seeking a Good Night’s Sleep With an Autoimmune Disease,” talks about the ever-present issue of getting enough rest with LEMS.

Luckily for me, I usually have no problem falling asleep. In fact. my fatigue is so severe I very often fall asleep the minute I sit down on the couch, take naps on the weekends, usually sleep in every day I can, and often go to bed during the week around 8, or at the latest 9pm. Of course, I’m up for work everyday at 5:30, but still.

Personally, It seems I’m never well rested, I can’t get enough sleep.

Many of you seem to have the opposite problem, you can’t get to sleep. I know @pricewool and I have had several talks about this.

I do have a strict nightly regimen that I follow which I feel gives me the best chance at getting restful sleep.

I always take melatonin about 30 mins before I go to bed, along with 25mg of CBD. Like Grace (@lorildunham‘s daughter), I also listen to ambient noise or guided meditation as soon as I get in bed.

Do you have a strict routine you follow at night?

Do you feel that LEMS affects your sleeping habits?

If so, how has LEMS changed them?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lori Dunham

December 1, 2021 at 8:26 am

Ashley, thanks for sharing your experience and tricks with all the differing sleep problems that come with LEMS. For us, it’s been kind of a trial and error process so I love hearing what helps other people.

• Bernie

December 1, 2021 at 3:27 pm

I have trouble getting good sleep, but for a different reason. My dysautonomia affects my bladder control so I am now getting up anywhere between 3-7 times a night to void. The good news is that I am able to return to sleep pretty easily most times. The problem is of course that I do not get any more than a couple of hours at a stretch, ever. Sometimes it is rather less than an hour.  That’s pretty frustrating, let me tell you.

I have an appointment with my urologist next week and he will investigate other potential causes for this.  However I am not optimistic because prior to the onset of my LEMS symptoms I seldom got up more than once or twice a night. At least we can potentially eliminate “normal ” causes of such behavior.  Then I suppose it will be up to my neurologist and I to continue to tailor medical treatments to see if it can be corrected.

I have tried melatonin and it did not seem to change things much. I tried a CBD product and although the calming effect was nice, the THC component felt just like the nerve tingles I get when I run low on my Mestinon/Ruzurgi.  So, not pleasant.

I do run a vaporizer in my room, as well as taking Pilocarpine just before bed in order to combat my dry mouth.  I also wear a head strap meant for CPAP users, to keep me from mouth breathing.

• Price Wooldridge

December 1, 2021 at 4:46 pm

@bernie Hopefully, your visit to the urologist will help. I generally get up to pee once or twice in a night, but not every two hours as you report.
      The dry-mouth is so LEMS. I get it sometimes, but not every night. Regarding running a vaporizer all the time, just please watch to keep it sanitized. I’ve run one previously, but not anytime lately. I remember using an ultra-sonic one which deposited a fine layer of white “dust” on surfaces.
      Keep us posted on what you find out!