Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Does alcohol exacerbate your LEMS symptoms?

• Dorothy Dempsey

September 6, 2024 at 2:49 pm

Several years ago I learned I needed to complete the bulk of my projects and chores for the day by mid afternoon as by then my muscles are close to letting me down for that day. Something that has helped me finish out the day with light duty is to drink one (1) 12 oz can of beer around 4 or 5 P.M. It really relaxes my muscles and reduces the aching and tingling, at least long enough for me to get through the dinner routine and to bed early!

• Ashley

September 17, 2024 at 9:01 am

Hey @Dorothy Dempsey ! I also find that I am more productive in the middle of the day! By 3, I am usually pretty fatigued. I also found that once I sit down, I relax and crash, so I have to keep moving in the day if I need to stay active.

I can totally see why beer could help relieve some of your pain! I’m glad you found a routine and something that works for you!!

• Deborah Carpenter

September 6, 2024 at 2:50 pm

Hi Ashley I have not been able to drink alcohol since my diagnosis, it exacerbated my GI problems and made me feel bad overall—yet another thing I must avoid. Deborah

• Ashley

September 17, 2024 at 9:04 am

Hi Deborah! I’ve also found that alcohol can trigger my LEMS as well. I can usually get by having a glass or half glass of wine, but I find if I have more than one, then I am rather sluggish and weak the following day!

• fritz

September 17, 2024 at 5:58 pm

Hello,

I have found when I have a glass of wine I get sluggish and wake up in middle of night with major leg muscle spasms. Thus, I have refrained from drinking.

• Ashley

September 18, 2024 at 7:56 am

Hey Fritz! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! It also makes me feel sluggish!