Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Autoimmune LEMS A Big Diet Change for Autoimmune Reasons

• A Big Diet Change for Autoimmune Reasons

Posted by Price Wooldridge on December 14, 2020 at 7:00 am

Big changes are coming for me, diet wise. My kidneys are failing, so something has to be done. There are those watershed moments when you make big decisions to turn the ship. This is one for me. I knew if I didn’t stop drinking in 2009, I was going to die. I stopped drinking. If I don’t do something now, my kidneys are going to fail. Mark down December, 2020, my ship is turning and my diet is changing. Now. No more dairy. No more red meat. The dairy part is going to be tough. I love dairy. I love milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. This all has to stop. It’s the inflammation, it’s the autoimmune problems. LEMS is all part of that. My kidneys failing is all part of that. I’ve much more to say. To be continued.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Roberta

December 15, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Dairy is one of the first things I eliminated after being diagnosed. I definitely felt  better.  Helped with lessening the tingly throbbing in my legs!!!  Since then many more things have gone from my diet related to IBS; whole wheat, nuts and peanut butter to name a few!!!

• Price Wooldridge

December 16, 2020 at 10:30 pm

I’ve heard over and over that dairy is inflammatory. Growing up I was a real milk baby and have kept the habit all my life. Now it’s time for a change and no time to look back!

• Searching4Answers

December 16, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Price

I’m sorry to hear that you have another problem to address. Life sometimes seems to keep piling things on.

In my research, there is a lot of information out there that diet does have a lot to do with disease. Food is Medicine. I hope that you can find a dietitian to help you with an autoimmune diet that is easy to follow , easy to prepare and most of all tastes good. It does exist!  I have found that webinars from the INR are very informative. I have taken some on the Gut brain axis, Sleep & Healthy Mind & body through meditation.

the url is

http://www.inrseminars.com/Seminarsr.aspx?st=Webinars

Good luck

• Price Wooldridge

December 16, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I totally agree, food is medicine! And I’m about to change meds. Ha! The issues tend to pile up as time passes, so being more proactive becomes a necessity. It’s going to go great.

• RDT

January 3, 2021 at 1:24 pm

For me personally, giving up dairy several years ago was huge. I have autoimmune arthritis and all my joint swelling went away within a week of giving up diary!

If you love milk then definitely try OAT MILK! It was a huge game changer for me taste wise. After years of drinking but milks, I found it Closest to diary taste in my humble opinion…

👍🏼😇

• Price Wooldridge

January 3, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve moved to almond and coconut milk so far, being good choices for low car/low protein. I do miss my cows milk!

• Kristina Patafio

August 16, 2021 at 6:49 am

This is an amazing topic. I grew up eating proceed foods, candy, sugar drinks. Never had a weight issue, never thought about it. The 2017…hit with LEMS like a freight train. OFF THE MAP!! As time teetered on I clearly was not running off to a store to get my candy bars and chips(I couldn’t walk talk or see). I had to rely on family to bring me good food in the hospital. Started with high dose steroids and started to pound on the weight. Doctors say “doesn’t matter what you eat, you are on steroids you will not lose weight” Me, “Ok if you say so, ice cream, soda, free for all as I gained 35+ pounds. Fast forward I am a swollen mess who is falling down and now my husband can barely pick me up off the floor.

Let me say a year later and started to feel useless and hopeless I started to see a holistic kinesiologist. I went though many motions to be where I am today working full time again and back to an acceptable weight, riding my bike, walking. (not perfect) I firmly believe NOW (never b4) that food can heal. I am living proof. I eat wrong I am no good to anyone. I am dairy free, grain free, gluten free. I watch my sugar intake (which is a challenge every hour …not day) and with all of this my life is better. I do not drink because I rather eat my calories lol

• Price Wooldridge

August 16, 2021 at 6:56 am

@kpatafio this is all very interesting, and I couldn’t agree more about food! It absolutely is a major health factor. There’s genes, diet, environmental factors, and more. Ditto on the gluten free because I have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, a celiac autoimmune disorder. I need a heart friendly diet because of, well, my heart. I need a kidney friendly diet because I have diabetes and CKD from it. And oh, a diabetes friendly diet too!
      Isn’t food fun! We love to eat.
      I’m wishing you all success with yours!