Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS IVIG and Plasmapheresis Aseptic Meningitis and IVIG

• Aseptic Meningitis and IVIG

Posted by Ashley on April 16, 2021 at 9:12 am

Hey all!

Sorry I haven’t been as on top of things this week, I’ve been pretty sick since Tuesday and actually ended up in the hospital until 5 am yesterday.

I woke up Monday night extremely sweaty and not feeling right, I checked my temperature and it was 101.5 so I ended up calling out of work and planned to spend the next day resting. When I got up later that morning, I still was not feeling well. I had a headache that was pretty strong, I’m used to having migraine headaches so it takes a really bad one for me to not be able to function, but I also started having severe muscle pain in my neck and all the way down my back. I was hoping to ride it out for the day, but it ended up getting worse so around 6:30 I decided to go to the emergency room.

I was worried that I had aseptic meningitis from my IVIG last week. In the 4 years I’ve been getting IVIG, I have not personally experienced this and have never had a reaction like this, so I was concerned. I don’t personally know anyone who has actually had aseptic meningitis from IVIG, but I know it’s a possibility and something to keep in mind. So, I spent the night in the ER getting multiple tests run- a head CT, two sets of blood cultures, electrolyte levels, blood counts, and eventually a spinal tap. What they found was interesting- I had a UTI that had become pretty serious they told me. I had not experienced any symptoms of an UTI but they found blood, protein and glucose in my urine. Luckily, I am feeling a little bit better this morning and my fever finally broke.

So it turned out not to be aseptic meningitis which is a great thing! That left me thinking about everyone here. Have any of you actually been diagnosed with Aseptic Meningitis from your IVIG? If you have, I would love for you to share your story with us!

Ashley replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • rdt

April 26, 2021 at 12:28 am

I developed aseptic meningitis pretty much immediately after my initial IVIG induction course, which I received in the hospital.  Finished on a Friday afternoon was in ER by Saturday. I couldn’t turn my neck, severe vomiting, severe migraine and was in and out of consciousness. Spinal tap confirmed diagnosis and was fortunate to get immediate treatment. But it took me almost a year to fully recover. It was pretty terrible.

• Ashley

April 27, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Hey @rdt

I’m so sorry you went through that, but glad you were able to get immediate treatment! I’ve been lucky enough to not get it in the 4 years I’ve been getting IVIG!