• Dry mouth from Firdapse

Posted by marym on February 21, 2022 at 4:17 am

I cant sleep through the night due to horrible dry mouth from Firdapse. What can you suggest to radicate this. Every 30 minutes i have to take a gulp of water and you know what that causes by morning?

marym replied 2 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • price-wooldridge

February 21, 2022 at 10:36 am

@marym Mary, is there some reason you feel Firdapse is the reason for your dry mouth? I checked the literature and dry mouth is not listed as an adverse reaction or common side effect from it. I’m not a physician or pharmacist, so you should consult your health care team.
    The effective period for a Firdapse dose is somewhere around 4 hours. I usually take my last dose around 8 or 9 o’clock, knowing that it’s effects will be off by my bedtime at 11:30 to Midnight. That’s why I take a time-release pyridostgmine tablet around 9 in the evening, so I have some coverage for LEMS in the overnight period.
    Dry mouth is a common symptom of LEMS. It’s often reported, and I have it too, generally in the overnight sleep period. It hasn’t been as impactful for me as you relate it is for you. Again, I hope you will report.

• stephanie

February 22, 2022 at 3:32 pm

I have severe dry mouth but mine started before taking the medication. If I’m not mistaken it’s one of the symptoms of having LEMS. I am now starting to use Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash at night before going to bed. I hopes it helps cause dry mouth can damage your teeth.

• price-wooldridge

February 22, 2022 at 4:31 pm

@smbrodie Wow! I didn’t know a ‘dry mouth’ mouthwash existed! This will be my next purchase after my Crest mouthwash runs out. I use mouthwash quite often.
    @marym you might want to check this out too. If it helps, even must a little, it will be worth a switch. Thanks!

• stephanie

February 22, 2022 at 5:51 pm

Yes I’m willing to try everything. They also have Biotene mouth spray and lozenges.

• ruth-nixon

February 22, 2022 at 6:00 pm

I have very dry mouth regularly. It generally correlates with how much I push during the day. Also I find caffeine affects it adversely so I try to stay away from it in the evening. I also use the dry mouth toothpaste, mouthwash and they also do a gel which works well to add moisture to the mouth.

• wanda-grischkowsky

February 22, 2022 at 6:19 pm

I also use Biotene mouthwash which does help with dry mouth.

• marym

February 22, 2022 at 6:19 pm

Thank you so much for the information. I’ll certainly try your suggestions