Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS LEMS walking (video)

• Price Wooldridge

May 9, 2023 at 9:47 am

That’s a very good video illustrating the hip weakness from LEMS. Personally I don’t recall if I looked like this when I had my initial crisis in 2009 and couldn’t walk or get out of a chair. Now I just look a bit stiff legged when my hips are weak. But, I have recently seen videos from two other LEMS patients who do now or have exhibited this amount of hip drop in their walks. It’s a remarkably visible sign of the hip weakness of LEMS.

• Anngail Norris

May 9, 2023 at 2:53 pm

I kind of walk like a penguin. It’s hard to keep my balance so I take smaller steps wider apart and with the side to side motion shown here. I’m not sure it’s my hips but my balance that is my problem.

• Price Wooldridge

May 9, 2023 at 5:00 pm

Interesting description. I have video of myself when my hips were fairly weak, and “penguin” might describe it. At least it looks somewhat stiff-legged.

• Alan Stone

May 9, 2023 at 5:13 pm

The Miami Dolphins have a wide receiver last name Waddle and when he makes a great play his teammates gather around him and do the “waddle” dance. I’ve been doing that dance since I was diagnosed in 2016.