Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics My PowerPort for IVIG Has Clogged

• My PowerPort for IVIG Has Clogged

Posted by Price Wooldridge on July 5, 2021 at 7:00 am

Just when you think everything is going smoothly, it isn’t. My Bard PowerPort was placed February 20, 2020. It has worked flawlessly, saving me untold IV sticks in the almost year and a half it’s been in use. That is until two months ago.
    During my May infusion of immunoglobulin, the infusion nurse had difficulty getting a blood return. We removed the antiseptic guard ring, so the needle could be advanced further, and it worked. We got a blood return and the infusion proceeded without further problems.
    This month (June) I wasn’t so lucky. We made three access attempts, all of which failed to bring a blood return. Protocol, even though they could flush the port, if there is no visible blood return, they can’t use the port. The only good news is my infusion nurse was confident with her IV access abilities and got it started on the second try. The first stick worked, but the vein blew.
    My understanding is ports clotting is fairly common. I have an appointment scheduled with the hospital PICC team to try and clear the port on July 16, days before my next infusion on July 21. Keep your fingers crossed!

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.