Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Diagnosed: What now? Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month

• Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month

Posted by Dawn DeBois on June 4, 2020 at 9:47 am

June is Myasthenia Gravis Awareness month. Why am I sharing that in a LEMS forum?  The reason is MG is so similar to LEMS. MG patients also have a disruption due to antibodies in the neuromuscular junction, causing weakness. In LEMS, our antibodies attack the nerve ending, stopping the release of acetylcholine. In MG, the antibodies stop the muscle from being able to have acetylcholine attach at the muscle. The result for both diseases is ongoing muscle weakness that often affects our eyes with drooping, our swallowing, the ability to walk any distance, weakness in our arms as well as extreme fatigue. Many of our treatments are shared as well.

I recently saw a Facebook post that an MG patient made to be shared for MG awareness. It is an amazing photo montage of her journey with MG. It’s often very difficult to process the physical changes, career changes, and friendship changes that happen as a result of our myasthenia. We also become so grateful to our family, friends, and loved ones who are there for us no matter what. I could not have even wrapped my brain around producing the picture story she shared. She’s encouraged everyone to share it for awareness and so I’m sharing it here.

https://www.facebook.com/jen.januario/media_set?set=a.10221783059941101&type=3

The Myasthenia Gravis community has welcomed LEMS patients with open arms. We are siblings in the disease of myasthenia.  Jen Januario, thank you for sharing your amazing story not only for awareness for those who have no idea about our rare invisible illnesses; but so that those who have never met another patient with LEMS or MG, they don’t feel so alone.

Dawn DeBois replied 3 years, 11 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.