Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums The Big C An antibody test specifically for paraneoplastic LEMS?

• An antibody test specifically for paraneoplastic LEMS?

Posted by Ashley on September 21, 2021 at 9:00 am

Good morning my fellow LEMons!

Did you know that studies have been performed to study Anti-SOX1 (Anti-Sry-like high mobility group box 1) antibodies and found that having them present is predictive of paraneoplastic LEMS?

What does this mean?

We can test for Anti-SOX1 antibodies in patients that may not test positive for N-type or P/Q calcium channel antibodies to determine if they have LEMS. We can also test patients with P/Q or N-type antibodies to get a better idea of if there LEMS is caused by cancer. Positive Anti-SOX1 antibodies are “highly suggestive” of paraneoplastic LEMS.

If you want to read more about this, you can check out the article posted on Lambert-Eaton News or you can check out the actual study here.

Have any of you been tested for Anti-SOX1 antibodies?

What do you think about this?

Do you think that in the future this antibody test could be offered every 6 months to a year for those patients still undergoing cancer surveillance? Do you think it could replace a PET or CT scan?

Ashley replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Morgan

October 9, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Thank you, @ashleygregory757, for this forum post.

I asked my neuro to run this lab and thankfully it came back negative! I am P/Q type antibody positive.

Yes, I think this is a good test to repeat in the future. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I have read SOX 1 is to detect SCLC (Small Cell Lung Cancer)? If so, I would still get a PET or CT scan to make sure I rule out everything out.

• Ashley

October 12, 2021 at 8:45 am

@morgan1028

Glad you found it useful! 🙂

Glad to hear your SOX1 was negative!

Yes, SOX mainly detects SCLC. Current data still recommends that LEMS patients get “cancer screening” scans (PET/CT) for the first 3 years after diagnosis.

My neurologist did a PET scan and a CT the first year I was diagnosed, and then a follow up of a CT scan yearly. Some neurologists recommend getting scanned every six months, so that part is still up for debate