Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ashley Gregory
      Keymaster

Good morning my fellow LEMons!

Did you know that studies have been performed to study Anti-SOX1 (Anti-Sry-like high mobility group box 1) antibodies and found that having them present is predictive of paraneoplastic LEMS?

What does this mean?

We can test for Anti-SOX1 antibodies in patients that may not test positive for N-type or P/Q calcium channel antibodies to determine if they have LEMS. We can also test patients with P/Q or N-type antibodies to get a better idea of if there LEMS is caused by cancer. Positive Anti-SOX1 antibodies are “highly suggestive” of paraneoplastic LEMS.

If you want to read more about this, you can check out the article posted on Lambert-Eaton News or you can check out the actual study here.

Have any of you been tested for Anti-SOX1 antibodies?

What do you think about this?

Do you think that in the future this antibody test could be offered every 6 months to a year for those patients still undergoing cancer surveillance? Do you think it could replace a PET or CT scan?

Morgan
      Participant

Thank you, @ashleygregory757, for this forum post.

I asked my neuro to run this lab and thankfully it came back negative! I am P/Q type antibody positive.

Yes, I think this is a good test to repeat in the future. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I have read SOX 1 is to detect SCLC (Small Cell Lung Cancer)? If so, I would still get a PET or CT scan to make sure I rule out everything out.

Ashley Gregory
      Keymaster

@morgan1028

Glad you found it useful! 🙂

Glad to hear your SOX1 was negative!

Yes, SOX mainly detects SCLC. Current data still recommends that LEMS patients get “cancer screening” scans (PET/CT) for the first 3 years after diagnosis.

My neurologist did a PET scan and a CT the first year I was diagnosed, and then a follow up of a CT scan yearly. Some neurologists recommend getting scanned every six months, so that part is still up for debate

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2022 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account