Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Diagnosed: What now? As an ‘Invisible In-Between,’ I Frequently Experience Discrimination

• Ashley

January 14, 2020 at 1:47 pm

I personally deal with discrimination a lot because I am still able to work full-time as a RN. I face discrimination from my coworkers at times and have heard people saying that I’m not really ill or must not be since I can still work. I have also struggled with this topic with my neurologist because I feel he may have the same thinking at times and does not treat me as he treats his patients who are on disability, even though I am diagnosed with the same disease and have many symptoms that would qualify me as disabled. It is very frustrating to explain “invisible illness.” I also battle balancing being ill and don’t allow many to see me when I am sick, because I don’t want them to think less of me or think I am less capable of doing my job or living a somewhat “normal” life. I also experience this in the dating world and have had some poor experiences when opening up to men I’ve dated about my illness. I have sadly had a few who have decided to walk away after hearing I have a chronic illness.