Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums In the News Blood Analysis Aids in Predicting Myasthenic Crisis Severity

• Blood Analysis Aids in Predicting Myasthenic Crisis Severity

Posted by Ashley on November 12, 2021 at 10:09 am

Good morning all!

Thanks to those who joined us last night at the ZOOM social! @Pricewool and I sure love seeing all your faces and hearing your experience with LEMS.

I occasionally like to check out our sister site, Myasthenia Gravis News and found an article that I found pretty interesting.

The article “Older Age, Blood Analysis Aid in Predicting Myasthenic Crisis Severity,” states that a hemogram (complete blood count which includes tests for hemoglobin levels, white blood cell counts, a platelet count, and detailed red blood cell indices.) can predict how patients will do during a myasthenic crisis including the mortality level.

To Sum up the article: (Direct quotes from the article):

“The analysis included 188 MG patients — 105 men and 83 women, with a mean age of 55.59 at the onset of a myasthenic crisis,

Researchers obtained results of hemograms taken within three days before intubation for 165 patients, and analyzed data from the latest of those hemograms. Among the 161 patients who survived extubation, 117 had data from a hemogram conducted within three days before extubation, again with the latest results analyzed.

The team then divided the 165 patients with hemogram data before intubation into two groups: those who died, and those who survived the procedure.

Deceased patients had significantly lower concentrations of hemoglobin and platelets in their blood compared with those who survived. Hemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells responsible for oxygen transport.

More patients who died also had moderate-to-severe anemia (61.5% vs 21.6%) and extremely low platelet counts (50% vs 24.5%) compared with those who survived.

Plasma exchange was found to significantly lower the risk of mortality.

Older age at time of the myasthenic crisis, moderate-to-severe anemia, and extremely high white blood cell counts (a condition known as leukocytosis) were significant predictors of mortality. Overall, this analysis for predicting mortality during mechanical ventilation had an accuracy of 87.9%.

Researchers noted that 26 of the patients who died during ventilation were “significantly older” at crisis onset (average age, 66.73) than those who survived (average age, 52.42).”

I’m not 100% sure if this could work for us, but I would think it could be helpful since us LEMons can have Myasthenic Crises as well.

Have any of you had a myasthenic crisis before? If so, can you explain your experience (if you remember it)? Do you know if you had complete blood count drawn at the time and what your levels were like?

Ashley replied 2 years, 4 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.