Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums In the News Do you have Sox-1 Antibodies?

• Do you have Sox-1 Antibodies?

Posted by Ashley on October 16, 2023 at 8:41 am

Morning all! 

Every once in a while, I do a Google search to see if there are any new articles written on LEMS along with any new medical studies.

This week, I found a new article written by BMJ (the British Medical Journal). The article is extremely informative and would be a really good article to give to a physician if they are unfamiliar with LEMS. 

I noticed that the article stated, “40% of LEMS patients have underlying cancer.” In the past, most articles have stated that over “60% of patients have underlying SCLC (Small cell lung cancer).” 

So, I think it’s relieving to see that the percentage of LEMS patients with cancer has decreased.

It also mentions that symptoms can include “poorly reactive pupils.” I know we’ve had discussions about this in our Zoom meetings, but most of us never saw it mentioned as an official symptom prior to this article. It also mentioned “diplopia,” or double vision as an expected side effect. 

Lastly, the article says that “SOX1” antibodies are “emerging” as a diagnostic test for LEMS.

I haven’t been tested for SOX antibodies, but I am curious to see if any of you have been.

Have you been tested for SOX-1 Antibodies? If so, what were your results?

Deborah Carpenter replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Deborah Carpenter

October 20, 2023 at 3:32 pm

I have double vision occasionally, the neuro ophthalmologist told me that some of his LEMS patients have this symptom routinely. Mine occurs mostly in the morning.

I am not certain I was tested for the antibodies that you mention, the neurologist at Johns Hopkins tested me initially with a “panel of LEMS” indicators, which may have included it, said results “were off the charts”.

• Deborah Carpenter

October 20, 2023 at 3:33 pm

BTW, Vern Juel, MD one of the authors is my current neurologist at Duke.