Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Exciting news from me!

• Exciting news from me!

Posted by Ashley on June 24, 2024 at 7:27 am

Hi everyone! Prepare yourself for a long post…

I’ve been keeping a little secret from you all….

I am excited to announce that I am expecting a baby boy in mid-December!

I am currently in my second trimester of pregnancy, and everything is going well!

Overall, it’s been a smoother ride than I thought it would be. I did struggle with bad fatigue and nausea during my first trimester but have been feeling pretty good for the most part. My POTS has been keeping me on my toes, however.

I had to make some adjustments to my medications, one of them being Firdapse. I decided to stop Firdapse before getting pregnant as I didn’t want to take any risks since not much is known about LEMS and pregnancy in general and no studies have been done on the safety of Firdapse during pregnancy.

My neurologist and rheumatologist agreed that typically with autoimmune diseases, our body calms down during pregnancy to protect the fetus.

Luckily, IVIG is safe during pregnancy and used for a lot of pregnancy complications so that has helped keep me on track.

I do have some increased risks during the pregnancy and was assigned to a maternal-fetal medicine clinic and will be giving birth at a hospital for high-risk pregnancies.
    In patients with Myasthenia Gravis, transient myasthenia is something that a newborn can struggle with during the first days after birth due to the antibodies crossing the placenta. It affects 10-15% of infants born to mothers with myasthenia gravis.

Unfortunately, we are not sure if transient myasthenia is common with LEMS. So far, there are only two studies published about pregnancy in LEMS patients.
    They are quite outdated, being published in 2006
    and 2010 respectively. So things are touch and go with my pregnancy.

I will keep you guys updated on everything! Thanks for being there in this exciting time for my husband and I!

Ashley replied 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Lori Dunham

June 26, 2024 at 5:35 am

Congratulations Ashley. I am very happy for you!!! Prayers for your pregnancy to go extremely well and for your little one.

• Ashley

June 27, 2024 at 7:27 am

Thank you so much @Lori Dunham !

• David1949

June 28, 2024 at 2:16 pm

Congratulations Ashley and husband. I hope things continuing to go smoothly for you and that you and the baby have a good birth experience.

David from Suffolk

• Ashley

July 18, 2024 at 10:44 am

Thank you so much David!

• Roberta

June 28, 2024 at 4:06 pm

Congratulations and prayers for you throughout your pregnancy!!!

• Ashley

July 18, 2024 at 10:44 am

Thank you Roberta!!