Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums BioNews Content LEMS Columns Finding support with chronic illness

• Dawn DeBois

January 13, 2022 at 5:18 am

“We need people in our lives who are willing to be stretcher-bearers — those willing to carry us off the battlefield of life when we lie wounded and unable to move. Who are these people in your life?”

That’s an interesting question, Ashley.

For me, my biggest test in who those people who came to help without judgement the summer and fall after my severe concussion when I was unable to communicate …or any time I tried to communicate came out completely wrong so I had to just stay to myself in my battlefield. My stretcher-bearers were two teammates who I swam with in high school who made sure I had food I didn’t need to prepare, had my meds because I couldn’t drive and had help with anything that needed to be done at home. I also had @pricewool who made sure I had good tunes to listen to in all the quiet. Also, I had a couple of very good friends who wouldn’t judge my relentless texts or voice recordings. It was impossible for be to talk normally. I couldn’t talk on the phone because hearing unexpected sounds back was literally painful to my brain. They all knew that I wasn’t acting like the Dawn they all knew and loved and thankfully they remained steadfast and are still there today. We are all grateful that those days are just a distant memory now.

Everyone is just an accident away from needing their stretcher-bearers. Having  chronic illnesses makes us all even more aware of needing to know who our support systems are, and cherishing them. Sometimes our stretcher-bearers surprise us and are not who we think they will be.

• Ashley

January 14, 2022 at 11:34 am

Hi @maliboogal

Thanks for sharing with us! It’s great to hear you have people you can depend on!