Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Getting Ready to Travel Again

• Getting Ready to Travel Again

Posted by price-wooldridge on July 12, 2022 at 7:03 am

It’s been over a year since I’ve gotten on an airplane and traveled. The last time was in June last year around my birthday. Despite some last-minute changes to my travel routing because of the weather, my stress levels seemed relatively contained.

This brings up the topic of stress and LEMS. Stress can exacerbate LEMS, as it’s done for me many times. Travel in today’s post-pandemic world is still fraught with stress. Airlines are still having difficulty keeping their schedules, no matter the weather. Be aware of increased stress when traveling by commercial means.

There is also the physical stress of traveling. I’ve been fortunate and haven’t needed accommodations, but those needing wheelchairs do. There’s also the trekking through airport security and down long terminal walkways getting from gate to gate. On my last trip, at my Charlotte connection, I literally had to walk from my arrival gate to my next departure gate at one end of the terminal complex to the opposite.

In just a few days I’m about to travel to Boston for a large meeting of LEMS patients, caregivers, and others in our tight-knit little LEMS family. I and two others will be there to announce a big project we’re rolling out that day for the benefit of our LEMS family. I can’t wait! Time to get myself ready mentally and physically to travel.

To read more travel tips for LEMS patients, ready this brief article from Lambert-Eaton News HERE.

Do you have any tips for traveling with LEMS?

price-wooldridge replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • dcarpenter

July 12, 2022 at 7:45 pm

I applaud your efforts to travel—seems overwhelming to me but I know I would take advantage of carts to get from gate to gate, I know the CLT airport—a daunting trek.. I also remain concerned about Covid variant surge—esp if on immune suppression meds.

eager to hear about the program plans, and your successful travels

deborah

• price-wooldridge

July 13, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Deborah. We will announce a new nonprofit for LEMS Friday. Our host there, Catalyst, has been kind enough during their event, to allow us to announce our new effort.
      Though stress hasn’t been an issue, I’ve caused myself a sudden LEMS flare, Tuesday just days before the trip Friday. I was out in the heat (100+) too long and lost control of my core temperature. Profuse sweating started, along with exhaustion, and difficulty walking. This morning I had difficulty thinking and keeping my thoughts organized. You do know it’s LEMS when the pronounced hip weakness and fatigue don’t resolve in a day. Keeping fingers crossed that the flare will let up by Friday for the trip.