Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS Immunosuppression Immunosupression Concerns

• Immunosupression Concerns

Posted by price-wooldridge on January 21, 2021 at 7:00 am

A frequently used treatment strategy for LEMS can include an immunosuppressant to stop the attack of inappropriate antibodies to our neuromuscular junctions. A decision for me, whether to start such a course will come in less than two weeks. I’ve been investigating rituximab as the possible drug, and feedback is very positive. But with that would come increased caution with daily activities during this pandemic. Were I to accept this treatment plan, I need the vaccine quickly. So far that hasn’t happened, but I’m trying. It would become imperative if I start an immunosuppressive medication. Do I need to stop go8ng 8nto grocery stores and do pick up only? Are there specific strategies you would or do use, being on a drug like Rituxan? Please give me your thoughts, as I get close to my decision.

Ashley replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • anngail-norris

January 22, 2021 at 3:16 pm

I was concerned about receiving the Covid vaccine because I was recently treated with Rituxan. My oncologist confirmed that as long as there has been 3 months from the last infusion of Rituxan that I am good to go for the vaccine. I don’t know about the opposite. If you get the vaccine then do you have to wait for Rituxan?  I do know that the CDC recommends having other immunizations such as shingles, pneumonia or flu, at least 2 weeks prior to getting the Covid vaccine.
    Hope this helps.

• price-wooldridge

January 23, 2021 at 8:16 am

Interesting information about these immunosuppressive drugs, and also immunoglobulin, which I consider to enhance immunity. In my case, timing has been completely out of my control. I just got the first shot yesterday, midway through my immunoglobulin infusion cycle. Did that diminish the good response from the vaccine? I’ve no clue, but I had to take it when offered as the rollout in the US has been bumpy, and I felt I needed any protection possible as soon as possible.

• Ashley

January 23, 2021 at 9:01 am

Hey

@anngailn

So glad you are able to get the vaccine!  🙂

We would love to hear about your experience when you are able to get vaccinated!

My guess is that you do not have to wait for Rituxan after the vaccine, but I would confirm with your doctor to be sure.