Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS IVIG and Plasmapheresis My IVIG PowerPort Problem Diagnosed

• My IVIG PowerPort Problem Diagnosed

Posted by price-wooldridge on July 21, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Last week I finally got into Interventional Radiology to diagnose and try to fix my PowerPort problem. As I reported previously, the port was placed for my IVIG infusions in February, 2020. It worked fine until it didn’t last month. The infusion nurse told me they could flush the port but couldn’t get a blood return. An IV was set, the port not used, and the two day infusion done.
    I’m not sure what I expected, but I did not expect a full-on procedure on the table with fluoroscopy, two procedures techs and an IR doctor. Color me surprised. After getting me set up on the table, dye was injected into my port for diagnosis. The results, I have fibrous scaring at the tip of my port, preventing blood return. The port flushed fine, just no blood back. The doctor pushed two different fluids to try and resolve the problem. Neither worked. No joy. In the end, my IR doctor cleared the port for use as long as it can be flushed. It’s good to go. It just won’t be available for lab draws.
    My infusions at the infusion center start Wednesday. If you’re reading this just after it posts, I’m at the center now. Will they use the port? I don’t know? The infusion nurses are always looking for that blood return which isn’t going to happen. My IR physician has written a letter, approving me to be infused, as long as they can flush it. We’ll see what happens!

price-wooldridge replied 2 years, 8 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.