Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Oh my! The summer heat and LEMS

• Oh my! The summer heat and LEMS

Posted by Price Wooldridge on August 15, 2020 at 9:00 am

It’s here, the shank of summer, August.  Also known as the dog days of summer.  How is it affecting your LEMS?  I was getting along pretty good until we hit the 100’s here in Texas.  Yesterday, 103.  Today, 104.  Even walking in the morning, temperatures are in the mid-80s.  And I’m feeling it now.  My walking pace is slower, and my hips feel weaker and more bound up.  Evenings are more prone to feeling exhausted.  So many factors go into how we feel, but the summertime heat weakness is a pattern for me.  Do you do anything special to keep your LEMS moderated in the summer’s heat?

Ashley replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Ashley

August 16, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Price,

I also feel the effect of the heat when it’s that hot out! I used to love being in the heat, but definitely have my limitations since being diagnosed with LEMS. Usually, I sit in the shade outside if its in the high 80s, and if its much hotter than that, I usually try my best to avoid being outside. I also feel it’s harder to move and feel more “zombie like.” I am also prone to feeling like I’m going to pass out, although so far, I haven’t actually passed out. Usually, I know when I’m at my limit and I am sure to “take shelter” inside and force myself to down some kind of very cold drink which is usually gatorade.

• Jenny C

August 29, 2020 at 2:52 pm

I’m also in Texas. 111 degrees today. Ugh. It’s just unbearable for me and I used to stay out in it for hours on our ranch. But now when I get hot it is very difficult and long before I can cool off. I’m like Ashley— I just feel faint and when I go inside I just want to lay down. Even in very cold AC, it can take me an hour before I cool off. It’s miserable.

• Price Wooldridge

August 29, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Jenny C, I know! But heres a good one! My VA neuro NP is sending me a cooling vest, and I think it’s been shipped. This super high Texas heat has been horrible for me. The vest is supposed to keep my core temperature down. She says she uses it for other disorders so we’ll try it on me. Not a clue whether it’s practical when I’m out walking, but guess we’ll see!

• Ashley

August 29, 2020 at 6:57 pm

@jennyc

It also takes me a while to cool off! I used to love sitting in the sun before my LEMS diagnosis, it’s funny how things change. I definitely feel like my LEMS/POTS symptoms overall are less severe in the fall/winter/spring. What about you?

• Jenny C

September 2, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Well I got my credit scan back but I have not talked to my doctor yet. Then scan showed 2 small nodes on my lungs and 2 nodes on my liver.
    I’m pretty surprised because I have never smoked.
    I’d like to think it’s not cancer. But I know the odds.
    Anyone ever have a similar CT but not have cancer?

• Price Wooldridge

September 2, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Jenny C lung nodules are relatively common. I’ve had many through the years and they do not always indicate cancer. Once new nodules are found, they up my CT frequency up to every three months to monitor for growth. So far my nodules have stopped and become stable before they were large enough for a needle biopsy. The other, more specific test is a PET scan. I’ve had one on diagnosis, but none further. Hope this helps.

• Jenny C

September 3, 2020 at 7:20 am

Thank you Price! That helps ease my mind a lot that it isn’t definitely cancer. I was worried that since I have the antibodies it was probably a sure thing. Glad to hear not necessarily! Thanks! I’ll let you know.

• Ashley

September 3, 2020 at 7:41 am

Hi @jennyc

I’m glad Price could ease some of your fears. I have heard of many others having nodules on their lungs without having cancer. I did not have any on my lungs, but I did have an area in my sinus tract that lit up on my PET scan when I was first diagnosed. I was very worried about it, ended up having surgery to biopsy it, and it turned out it was just inflamed adenoid tissue. So try not to sweat it just yet! Keep us updated!