Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums In the News The Challenges Getting a LEMS Diagnosis, A Case Study

• The Challenges Getting a LEMS Diagnosis, A Case Study

Posted by Price Wooldridge on March 31, 2022 at 5:54 pm

Recently I did a topic talking about how rare LEMS is, and how incredibly rare it is in children. At the time I noted there are only 11 documented cases in the literature of children with Lambert-Eaton. In the wonderful article by Dr. Patricia Anacio, which you can read here, she adds a 12th child’s case study of her journey to a diagnosis.

So much of what happened, in this case, rang a bell in my journey. Guillain-Barré syndrome was mentioned while I was in the hospital. I too had a spinal tap. I suspect many of you have similar stories.

The important takeaway from this article from my perspective is, because of our rarity, doctors looking for a diagnosis, need to widen the search in cases of muscle weakness, to include the possibility of Lambert-Eaton in their differential diagnosis. The more aware they are, the sooner a diagnosis of LEMS can get the patient on a good treatment plan and improved symptoms.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.