Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS The Stress of Life, LEMS, and Everything Else

• The Stress of Life, LEMS, and Everything Else

Posted by Price Wooldridge on October 4, 2021 at 7:07 am

Just today I read a post in my pacemaker group (yes, I have a pacemaker). The person is 72 years old (me too) and just had their pacemaker placed recently (me too). Since the surgery, this person is concerned about increased anger and irritability. I suspect most of us “mortals”, at least occasionally, have increased irritability or flash a quick burst of anger. Maybe we need to give ourselves just a bit of a pass these days.
    How’s your LEMS doing? Mine hasn’t been so good. It seems like every outing I have fatigue or weakness issues. My hips have been weak, and I’m doing the “LEMS walk” too much. Living with LEMS is a stressor. But there is so much additional stress now in our everyday lives. I’ve been around the block a few times and guarantee you there’s more stress in society out there than in a long time. We’re dealing with COVID, wearing or not wearing a mask, arguing about getting the vaccine. Stories in the news bombard us every day, telling us of political and social turmoil. It’s hard, if not impossible to escape. Lambert-Eaton we can’t escape. There’s no cure for LEMS. With that in mind, here is The Serenity Prayer. I don’t think you need be religious to take some good meaning from it. I should perhaps read it every morning before starting the day. Here it is for you too.

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    enjoying one moment at a time;
    accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    taking, as He did, this sinful world
    as it is, not as I would have it;
    trusting that He will make all things right
    if I surrender to His Will;
    that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with Him
    forever in the next.
    Amen.

reinhold niebuhr (1892-1971)

(Niebuhr used various versions of the prayer widely in sermons as early as 1934. The prayer spread rapidly, often without attribution to Niebuhr, through church groups in the 1930s and 1940s and was adopted and popularized by Alcoholics Anonymous and other twelve-step programs. The Serenity Prayer appeared in a sermon of Niebuhr’s as part of the 1944 A Book of Prayers and Services for the Armed Forces, while Niebuhr himself first published it in 1951 in a magazine column.)
    Amen.

Price Wooldridge replied 2 years, 6 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.