Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Younger LEMS patients more likely to delay treatment

• Younger LEMS patients more likely to delay treatment

Posted by Ashley on February 14, 2023 at 3:01 pm

Good morning!

As most of you already know, I was diagnosed with LEMS about a week after my 25th birthday. 

A recent study titled “Single-Center Retrospective Analysis of Paraneoplastic Syndromes with Peripheral Nerve Damage” found that younger patients with LEMS or other paraneoplastic diseases are more likely to delay receiving medical care for their symptoms and had a longer time period between symptom onset and diagnosis

The study also concluded that patients younger than 65 were more likely severely disabled and had more pronounced changes in nerve signaling, which the researchers said may be related to a longer delay between disease onset and getting treatment. 

Ageism is something I’ve encountered many times since my diagnosis in 2015 and in the year prior to my diagnosis. One of the responses I get often when I explain that I have a chronic illness is that “I’m too young to have health issues,” or “to be as sick as I am.” Chronic illness doesn’t discriminate but a lot of people don’t see it that way. 

Have you ever experienced ageism?

Ashley replied 1 year, 2 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.