Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Yup, Another Trip to the ER

• Yup, Another Trip to the ER

Posted by price-wooldridge on November 24, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Do you know when you need to head to the Emergency Room or Urgent Care clinic near you? Have your LEMS or dysautonomia symptoms been so bad you needed help quickly?

I don’t like to go to the ER. Been there. Done that. I’m VERY reluctant to go, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get in. It happened to me last Friday. I took too much insulin with a meal, my blood sugars dropped, and so did my blood pressure. I was unable to get up without becoming short of breath and sitting back down. How did this happen? Most of us with LEMS also have autonomic problems. First I had low blood pressure, causing me to be short of breath. Then, in the ER, my BP went the other way, over 200. I’ve had these mysterious heart problems for many years. This appears to be just another episode. In the end, I was out by 11 PM, and all testing was good. I didn’t like going, but it was something that had to be done.

If you have LEMS or autonomic dysfunction related to it, keep an eye on yourself. If you get extremely short of breath, suddenly can’t walk, or have other very significant symptoms, don’t hesitate. Get in and be seen. Discussing this with my nurse in the ER, she tells me how often people suffer a stroke and don’t come in until two or three days later, when the ability to treat it is much reduced. Don’t be hesitant like I tend to be, when you know your health is headed south!

lori-dunham replied 2 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lori-dunham

December 1, 2021 at 8:28 am

I’m glad you were able to be released later that night and everything was good. This is a good reminder for all of us to not let unusual symptoms go without seeking medical attention.