• Posted by Ashley on August 31, 2020 at 10:52 am

Good morning and happy Monday!

Last night, I had a severe headache from my IVIG. It was so bad I was starting to wonder if I may have aseptic meningitis, which I’ve never had before. When I went to bed, I made sure my essential oil diffuser was full of serenity and lavender oil and I used my favorite “sleepy” lavender hand lotion after taking motrin and CBD oil. Luckily this morning, I woke up and the headache was gone! Thank goodness!

What are your favorite things that bring you comfort, especially when you are feeling unwell?

Ashley replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dawn DeBois

September 1, 2020 at 11:09 am

Hi Ashley,

I’m so sorry that happened. I’ve been there myself, as you know. What I learned through my entire IVIg experience was that added stress would cause my side effects to be worse- especially the headache. I’m so glad using your diffuser calmed your stress and thus the extreme headache from IVIG! That is wonderful. Thanks for sharing which oils you used- I would have no idea which one to use. I don’t have a diffuser. I know, I know, I’m probably the only person on the planet without one!

When I’m feeling unwell, it’s music for me. While I was extremely unwell during my concussion/traumatic brain injury exacerbation in July, I found that listening songs that brought me happy memories, very,very softly, from my iPhone, helped lull me off to sleep. Instead of only feeling the pain I was in, I concentrated on the great memories of people, concerts or events that each song represented! It worked!  My challenge right now is finding new songs with new memories to turn to when my symptoms flare a bit, because that playlist that I titled “Healing” and listened to incessantly, is now tied to memories of such a difficult time.

I’m so grateful to Price. We are both music lovers and have had many conversations about favorite artists, music documentaries, concerts, etc. We’ve introduced each other to bands or songs that the other hadn’t heard yet. While I was gone, and Price knew I was having a difficult time, he sent me a Joe Walsh CD, having absolutely NO idea that I’m a huge Eagles fan. On the CD, the song Lucky that Way became an instant new favorite! I texted Price from the parking lot after driving to physical therapy telling him how much I loved the CD, especially that song!  Of course, it turns out that it was one of the favorites as well. As we all know, words speak to me the lyrics that jumped out at me, stuck with me, comforted me were “Started in the middle of nowhere, didn’t have far to fall, the times I thought were the end of the world, didn’t turn out so bad after all.”  The song literally became my mantra for the month of August. I’m actually playing the live video on Youtube as I type!  The CD is in my VW, cued up for when I head to PT!

I just took a glance at the video and realized, Price, that you are absolutely rocking the Joe Walsh hair right now! Doesn’t everyone else think so?

• Price Wooldridge

September 1, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Thank you Dawn for the thoughts. Last night I was watching The Eagles at the Forum which aired earlier this year. Indeed, my objective is to have Joe Walsh-esk hair. I’m almost there!

• Ashley

September 2, 2020 at 7:48 am

@dawn-debois

Yes, added stress definitely exacerbates my symptoms in general. Right now, I am more stressed than usual due to the pandemic and being short staffed at work which has required me to work extra hours.

I use my diffuser pretty often! I love using it because I prefer to take as few medications as possible. I also love that it fills my house with scents that smell good!

I’m so glad that you and @pricewool can bond through your love of music! I also love music and try to attend as many concerts as I can. Usually, I go to a concert every couple of weeks at the amphitheater here. It has been the thing I’ve missed the most during quarentine.